T.E. Lawrence suggests his old friend and pen-pal Indiana Jones (aka Henri Defense) for an undercover mission in Gaza, where Indy befriends some members of the Australian Lighthorseman Regiment. The British plan to attack Beersheba but have to cross a grueling desert to do so. To get into Beersheba first, Indy poses as an Arab trader and is accompanied by a 'belly dancer' named Maya.
The TV Archaeologist
Did You Know?
WILHELM SCREAM: When a soldier falls of his horse as one of the wells is blown up. See more
The road signs show directions to Beersheba, Rafa and Gaza in English. Then part of the Ottoman Empire, official signs would have been written in Ottoman Turkish which used a variant of the Arabic alphabet. See more
Well Henry, you kept your promise.
Yes. I guess we'll be in Jerusalem by Christmas.
Can't think of a better place I'd rather be at that time.
Come on fellas, let's drink this place dry.
This is the only episode of the series to be extended into feature length for the VHS and DVD release. New material includes:
- More battle footage from _Lighthorsemen, The (1987)_. This scene has new material featuring the Jack, Dex, a German generals and Shiller.
- Longer introduction of Indy working undercover in Cairo dressed as a beggar
- The scene of the British and Australian officers arguing in the bar is longer. Ned suggests they settle the matter with a rugby match.
- Indy and T.E. Lawrence take a ride at night to the ruins of Gaza and talk about its historic significance. T.E. tells Indy about the well of Abraham and complaints about his fame as 'Lawrence of Arabia'.
- Instead of refusing Dex's offer to join the Australians Light Horse for lunch and riding out immediately, he accepts and tells them about his exploits during the war and mentions visiting Australia and flying in an airplane with Houdini.
- Extra shots of Indy, Lawrence and Meinertzhagen traveling the desert on horseback.
- A short scene of Indy and Maya arriving at the crossroads in which she learns they are heading for Beersheba.
- The British and Australian officers getting briefed before marching across the desert to an undisclosed location.
- New sequence of Maya and Indy resting at a well in which he mentions Jack and Dex. Maya, still in disguise appears to be played by a stand in instead of Catherine Zeta-Jones, though the lines seem to be dubbed by Jones.
- More shots of the Australians packing their tents and putting on their gear while getting ready to leave.
- Indy and Maya encounter a band of Arabs at the well who demand payment for their water: One camel and the woman.
- Footage of the army advancing across the desert - Indy riding alone on his camel before being reunited with Maya, who gave the Arabs a sleeping potion and took their clothes.
- Footage of the army braving a sandstorm
- Indy and Maya have to cross a rickety old bridge where they are attacked by two Arabs on horseback.
- Shiller and the Colonel comment on the unbearable heat while the Alies are almost out of water and finally learn their destination.
- Extended scene of the Australians traveling by night.
- A short exchange between Jack and Dex as they near Beersheba just before dawn.
- Close ups of Indy stabbing Rashid.
- Short scene of Meinertzhagen reporting back at base camp.
- The scene where the Light brigade gets their orders is slightly longer.
- During the battle, a few more shots of the stocky British grenadier who argued with Jack earlier.
- One extra close-up of horses drinking from the wells just before the end credits.
Edited from The Lighthorsemen