Directorsby pavai_apor | created - 03 Dec 2012 | updated - 1 week ago | Public
The order is about how many movies I saw from each director. It isn't representing my personal favourites! No shorts (shorter then 60min), documentaries, stage directing.
1. Woody Allen
Writer | Manhattan
Woody Allen was born Allan Stewart Konigsberg on December 1, 1935 in Brooklyn, New York, to Nettie (Cherrie), a bookkeeper, and Martin Konigsberg, a waiter and jewellery engraver. His father was of Russian Jewish descent, and his maternal grandparents were Austrian Jewish immigrants. As a young boy...
1. Manhattan - 8 2. Interiors - 8 3. Another Woman - 7,5 4. Midnight in Paris - 7 5. Cassandra's Dream - 7 6. Hannah and Her Sisters - 7 7. Husbands and Wives - 7 8. The Curse of the Jade Scorpion - 7 9. To Rome With Love - 7 10. Irrational Man - 6.5 11. The Purple Rose of Cairo - 6.5 12. Manhattan Murder Mystery - 6.5 13. Small Time Crooks - 6.5 14. Take the Money and Run - 6.5 15. You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger - 6.5 16. Café Society - 6 17. Hollywood Ending - 6 18. Blue Jasmine - 6 19. Scoop - 6 20. Magic in the Moonlight - 6 21. Vicky Cristina Barcelona - 6 22. Radio Days - 5.5 23. Annie Hall - 5.5 24. Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex * But Were Afraid to Ask - 5 (48)
Director | Taxi Driver
Martin Charles Scorsese was born on November 17, 1942 in Queens, New York City, to Catherine Scorsese (née Cappa) and Charles Scorsese, who both worked in Manhattan's garment district, and whose families both came from Palermo, Sicily. He was raised in the neighborhood of Little Italy, which later ...
1. Taxi Driver - 10 2. Goodfellas - 10 3. The Last Temptation of Christ - 9.5 4. Shutter Island - 9 5. Casino - 8.5 6. The Departed - 8 7. The Aviator - 8 8. Gangs of New York - 8 9. The King of Comedy - 8 10. Mean Streets - 8 11. Raging Bull - 8 12. Hugo - 6.5 13. The Color of Money - 6 14. The Wolf of Wall Street - 5.5 (24)
Director | 2001: A Space Odyssey
Stanley Kubrick was born in Manhattan, New York City, to Sadie Gertrude (Perveler) and Jacob Leonard Kubrick, a physician. His family were Jewish immigrants (from Austria, Romania, and Russia). Stanley was considered intelligent, despite poor grades at school. Hoping that a change of scenery would ...
1. 2001: A Space Odyssey - 10 2. A Clockwork Orange - 9.5 3. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb - 9.5 4. Eyes Wide Shut - 9.5 5. Barry Lyndon - 9.5 6. Full Metal Jacket - 9 7. Paths of Glory - 9 8. The Shining - 8 9. Lolita - 8 10. The Killing - 8 11. Killer's Kiss - 8 12. Spartacus - 7 13. Fear and Desire - 7 (13)
Director | Psycho
Alfred Joseph Hitchcock was born in Leytonstone, Essex, England. He was the son of Emma Jane (Whelan; 1863 - 1942) and East End greengrocer William Hitchcock (1862 - 1914). His parents were both of half English and half Irish ancestry. He had two older siblings, William Hitchcock (born 1890) and ...
1. Rope - 8 2. Notorious - 7.5 3. Rear Window - 7 4. Shadow of a Doubt - 7 5. Dial M for Murder - 7 6. Strangers on a Train - 7 7. North by Northwest - 6.5 8. The Wrong Man - 6.5 9. Psycho - 6.5 10. Vertigo - 6 11. The Man Who Knew Too Much - 6 12. To Catch a Thief - 6 13. Saboteur - 6 (55)
Director | Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi
Hayao Miyazaki is one of Japan's greatest animation directors. The entertaining plots, compelling characters, and breathtaking animation in his films have earned him international renown from critics as well as public recognition within Japan. The Walt Disney Company's commitment to introduce the ...
1. Kaze tachinu - 9.5 2. Kurenai no buta - 9 3. Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi - 9 4. Hauru no ugoku shiro - 9 5. Mononoke-hime - 8 6. Tonari no Totoro - 8 7. Majo no takkyûbin - 7.5 8. Tenkû no shiro Rapyuta - 7.5 9. Kaze no tani no Naushika - 7 10. Rupan sansei: Kariosutoro no shiro - 7 11. Gake no ue no Ponyo - 6 (11)
Writer | Kakushi-toride no san-akunin
After training as a painter (he storyboards his films as full-scale paintings), Kurosawa entered the film industry in 1936 as an assistant director, eventually making his directorial debut with Sanshiro Sugata (1943). Within a few years, Kurosawa had achieved sufficient stature to allow him greater...
1. Shichinin no samurai - 10 2. Ikiru - 9.5 3. Ran - 9.5 4. Akahige - 9 5. Kumonosu-jô - 9 6. Tsubaki Sanjûrô - 8 7. Rashômon - 8 8. Yôjinbô - 8 9. Kakushi-toride no san-akunin - 7 10. Nora inu - 7 (31)
Writer | Reservoir Dogs
Quentin Jerome Tarantino was born in Knoxville, Tennessee. His father, Tony Tarantino, is an Italian-American actor and musician from New York, and his mother, Connie (McHugh), is a nurse from Tennessee. Quentin moved with his mother to Torrance, California, when he was four years old.
In January of...
1. Pulp Fiction - 10 2. Inglourious Basterds - 10 3. Jackie Brown - 9.5 4. Reservoir Dogs - 9.5 5. Django Unchanied - 8.5 6. Once Upon a Time ... in Hollywood - 6.5 7. The Hateful Eight - 6.5 8. Kill Bill: Vol. 1 - 6.5 9. Kill Bill: Vol. 2 - 6.5 10. Death Proof - 4 (11)
Producer | Schindler's List
One of the most influential personalities in the history of cinema, Steven Spielberg is Hollywood's best known director and one of the wealthiest filmmakers in the world. He has an extraordinary number of commercially successful and critically acclaimed credits to his name, either as a director, ...
1. Duel - 7.5 2. Catch Me If You Can - 7 3. Raiders of the Lost Ark - 7 4. The Adventures of Tintin - 7 5. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - 6.5 6. The Terminal - 6 7. Minority Report - 6 8. Munich - 6 9. Jurassic Park - 5.5 10. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - 5 (34)
Writer | Smultronstället
Ernst Ingmar Bergman was born July 14, 1918, the son of a priest. The film and T.V. series, The Best Intentions (1992) is biographical and shows the early marriage of his parents. The film 'Söndagsbarn' depicts a bicycle journey with his father. In the miniseries Private Confessions (1996) is the ...
1. Det sjunde inseglet - 10 2. Persona - 10 3. Fanny och Alexander - 9.5 4. Såsom i en spegel - 9.5 5. Höstsonaten - 9.5 6. Smultronstället - 8.5 7. Ansiktet - 8 8. Nattvardsgästerna - 7.5 9. Tystnaden - 7 (45)
10. Joel Coen
Producer | The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
Joel Coen was born on November 29, 1954 in Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA as Joel Daniel Coen. He is a producer and writer, known for The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (2018), A Serious Man (2009) and Inside Llewyn Davis (2013). He has been married to Frances McDormand since April 1, 1984. They have one ...
1. Miller's Crossing - 8.5 2. O Brother, Where Art Thou? - 7 3. Burn After Reading - 7 4. Inside Llewyn Davis - 7 5. The Man Who Wasn't There - 6.5 6. The Big Lebowski - 6.5 7. No Country for Old Men - 6 8. Fargo - 6 9. Intolerable Cruelty - 5 (17)
11. Federico Fellini
Writer | Amarcord
The women who both attracted and frightened him and an Italy dominated in his youth by Mussolini and Pope Pius XII - inspired the dreams that Fellini started recording in notebooks in the 1960s. Life and dreams were raw material for his films. His native Rimini and characters like Saraghina (the ...
1. Fellini - Satyricon - 9.5 2. Amarcord - 9 3. Le notti di Cabiria - 8 4. I vitelloni - 8 5. La strada - 8 6. La dolce vita - 7.5 7. 8½ - 7.5 8. Il bidone - 7.5 (19)
12. Jim Jarmusch
Director | Broken Flowers
Moved to New York City at the age of seventeen from Akron, Ohio. Graduated from Columbia University with a B.A. in English, class of '75. Without any prior film experience, he was accepted into the Tisch School of the Arts, New York.
1. Dead Man - 9.5 2. Paterson - 9 3. Night on Earth - 8.5 4. Only Lovers Left Alive - 7.5 5. Down by Law - 7 6. Coffee and Cigarettes - 6.5 7. Permanent Vacation - 6 8. Stranger Than Paradise - 4 (12)
13. Robert Zemeckis
Writer | Back to the Future
A whiz-kid with special effects, Robert is from the Spielberg camp of film-making (Steven Spielberg produced many of his films). Usually working with writing partner Bob Gale, Robert's earlier films show he has a talent for zany comedy (Romancing the Stone (1984), 1941 (1979)) and special effect ...
1. Back to the Future Part 2 - 7.5 2. Back to the Future - 7.5 3. Back to the Future Part III - 7 4. Forrest Gump - 7 5. Cast Away - 7 6. Allied - 6 7. The Polar Express - 5.5 8. Death Becomes Her - 3 (18)
14. David Lynch
Writer | Twin Peaks
Born in precisely the kind of small-town American setting so familiar from his films, David Lynch spent his childhood being shunted from one state to another as his research scientist father kept getting relocated. He attended various art schools, married Peggy Lynch and then fathered future ...
1. Mulholland Dr. - 9.5 2. Eraserhead - 9.5 3. Wild at Heart - 9.5 4. Blue Velvet - 9 5. Lost Highway - 8.5 6. The Elephant Man - 8.5 7. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me - 8.5 (10)
15. Asghar Farhadi
Writer | Darbareye Elly
Asghar Farhadi was born in 1972 in Iran. He became interested in cinema in his teenage years and started his filmmaking education by joining the Youth Cinema Society of Esfahan in 1986 where he made 8mm and 16mm short films. He received his Bachelors in Theater from University of Tehran's School of...
1. Jodaeiye Nader az Simin - 8.5 2. Raghs dar ghobar - 8.5 3. Forushande - 8 4. Le passé - 8 5. Chaharshanbe-soori - 8 6. Todos lo saben - 8 7. Darbareye Elly - 7.5 (8)
16. Terry Gilliam
Writer | Brazil
Terry Gilliam was born near Medicine Lake, Minnesota. When he was 12 his family moved to Los Angeles where he became a fan of MAD magazine. In his early twenties he was often stopped by the police who suspected him of being a drug addict and Gilliam had to explain that he worked in advertising. In ...
1. Twelve Monkeys - 9.5 2. Brazil - 8.5 3. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - 7.5 4. Time Bandits - 6.5 5. Monty Python and the Holy Grail - 6.5 6. The Fisher King - 6 7. The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus - 6 (12)
Writer | Dunkirk
Best known for his cerebral, often nonlinear, storytelling, acclaimed writer-director Christopher Nolan was born on July 30, 1970 in London, England. Over the course of 15 years of filmmaking, Nolan has gone from low-budget independent films to working on some of the biggest blockbusters ever made.
1. Memento - 9.5 2. Inception - 8 3. The Dark Knight - 8 4. Interstellar - 6.5 5. The Prestige - 6 6. Dunkirk - 6 7. The Dark Knight Rises - 6 (10)
18. Robert Rodriguez
Producer | El mariachi
Robert Anthony Rodriguez was born and raised in San Antonio, Texas, USA, to Rebecca (Villegas), a nurse, and Cecilio G. Rodríguez, a salesman. His family is of Mexican descent.
Of all the people to be amazed by the images of John Carpenter's 1981 sci-fi parable, Escape from New York (1981), none ...
1. Sin City - 10 2. Once Upon a Time in Mexico - 8 3. Machete - 7 4. El mariachi - 7 5. Desperado - 6 6. From Dusk Till Dawn - 5 7. Planet Terror - 4 (18)
19. Andrei Tarkovsky
Writer | Solyaris
The most famous Soviet film-maker since Sergei M. Eisenstein, Andrei Tarkovsky (the son of noted poet Arseniy Tarkovsky) studied music and Arabic in Moscow before enrolling in the Soviet film school V.G.I.K. He shot to international attention with his first feature, Ivan's Childhood (1962), which ...
1. Solyaris - 10 2. Stalker - 10 3. Ivanovo detstvo - 9 4. Zerkalo - 9 5. Andrej Rubljov - 9 6. Nostalghia - 8 (7)
20. Peter Jackson
Peter Jackson was born as an only child in a small coast-side town in New Zealand in 1961. When a friend of his parents bought him a super 8 movie camera (because she saw how much he enjoyed taking photos), the then eight-year-old Peter instantly grabbed the thing to start recording his own movies,...
1. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - 8.5 2. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - 8.5 3. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - 8.5 4. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - 8 5. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - 6.5 6. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies - 6 (13)
21. Guy Ritchie
Director | Sherlock Holmes
Guy Ritchie was born in Hatfield, Hertfordshire, UK on September 10, 1968. After watching Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969) as a child, Guy realized that what he wanted to do was make films. He never attended film school, saying that the work of film school graduates was boring and ...
1. Revolver - 9.5 2. Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels - 8.5 3. Snatch - 8 4. Sherlock Holmes - 6 5. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows - 6 6. The Man from U.N.C.L.E. - 6 (10)
22. Billy Wilder
Writer | The Apartment
Originally planning to become a lawyer, Billy Wilder abandoned that career in favor of working as a reporter for a Viennese newspaper, using this experience to move to Berlin, where he worked for the city's largest tabloid. He broke into films as a screenwriter in 1929 and wrote scripts for many ...
1. Sunset Blvd. - 8 2. Kiss Me, Stupid - 7 3. Sabrina - 7 4. Some Like It Hot - 7 5. The Fortune Cookie - 6.5 6. Buddy, Buddy - 6 (26)
23. David Zucker
Writer | Airplane!
David Zucker was born on October 16, 1947 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA. He is a writer and producer, known for Airplane! (1980), Scary Movie 4 (2006) and Top Secret! (1984). He has been married to Danielle Zucker since May 1997. They have two children.
1. The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police - 7 2. The Naked Gun 2½: The Smell of Fear - 7 3. Scary Movie 3 - 6 4. Scary Movie 4 - 5 5. Airplane! - 5 (w/ Jim Abrahams and Jerry Zucker) 6. Top Secret! - 5 (w/ Jim Abrahams and Jerry Zucker) (10)
24. Nancy Meyers
Writer | It's Complicated
Nancy Meyers was born on December 8, 1949 in Pennsylvania, USA as Nancy Jane Meyers. She is a writer and producer, known for It's Complicated (2009), Something's Gotta Give (2003) and The Holiday (2006). She was previously married to Charles Shyer.
1. The Intern - 6.5 2. Something's Gotta Give - 6 3. It's Complicated - 6 4. The Holiday - 5.5 5. The Parent Trap - 5 6. What Women Want - 5 (6)
25. David Yates
Director | Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
David Yates was born on October 8, 1963 in St. Helens, Merseyside, England. He is a director and producer, known for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (2011), Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007) and The Legend of Tarzan (2016).
1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 - 6.5 2. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 - 6 3. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - 5.5 4. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - 5.5 5. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - 5 6. Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - 4.5 (10)
26. Garry Marshall
Director | Pretty Woman
Garry Marshall was born on November 13, 1934 in The Bronx, New York City, New York, USA as Garry Kent Maschiarelli. He was a writer and producer, known for Pretty Woman (1990), The Princess Diaries (2001) and Happy Days (1974). He was married to Barbara Marshall. He died on July 19, 2016 in Los ...
1. Frankie and Johnny - 7 2. Pretty Woman - 5.5 3. Runaway Bride - 5.5 4. Valentine's Day - 5 5. The Princess Diaries - 5 6. The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement - 4.5 (18)
27. Zoltán Fábri
Director | Az ötödik pecsét
He was born in 1917 and between the two World War he finished his primary and secondary school. After them he graduated in the College of Fine Arts, which helped him later to be a production-designer. He liked to learn and joined the Academy of Theatre and Film Arts. He bacame a director and actor....
1. Az ötödik pecsét - 10 2. Két félidő a pokolban - 9.5 3. Körhinta - 8 4. Isten hozta, őrnagy úr! - 7.5 5. A Pál utcai fiúk - 7.5 (21)
28. Luis Buñuel
Writer | El ángel exterminador
The father of cinematic Surrealism and one of the most original directors in the history of the film medium, Luis Buñuel was given a strict Jesuit education (which sowed the seeds of his obsession with both religion and subversive behavior), and subsequently moved to Madrid to study at the ...
1. Le charme discret de la bourgeoisie - 9.5 2. Le fantôme de la liberté - 8.5 3. El Ángel Exterminador - 8.5 4. Belle de jour - 7.5 5. Nazarín - 7.5 (29)
Producer | Apocalypse Now
Francis Ford Coppola was born in 1939 in Detroit, Michigan, but grew up in a New York suburb in a creative, supportive Italian-American family. His father, Carmine Coppola, was a composer and musician. His mother, Italia Coppola (née Pennino), had been an actress. Francis Ford Coppola graduated ...
1. Apocalypse Now - 9.5 2. The Godfather - 8.5 3. The Godfather: Part II - 8.5 4. The Conversation - 8.5 5. The Godfther: Part III - 6.5 (24)
30. Jean-Luc Godard
Director | Pierrot le fou
Jean-Luc Godard was born in Paris on December 3, 1930, the second of four children in a bourgeois Franco-Swiss family. His father was a doctor who owned a private clinic, and his mother came from a preeminent family of Swiss bankers. During World War II Godard became a naturalized citizen of ...
1. Vivre sa vie: Film en douze tableaux - 9 2. Le petit soldat - 8.5 3. Bande à part - 8.5 4. À bout de souffle - 8.5 5. Le mépris - 5.5 (39)
31. Wes Anderson
Writer | Fantastic Mr. Fox
Wesley Wales Anderson was born in Houston, Texas. His mother, Texas Ann (Burroughs), is an archaeologist turned real estate agent, and his father, Melver Leonard Anderson, worked in advertising and PR. He has two brothers, Eric and Mel. Anderson's parents divorced when he was a young child, an ...
1. Moonrise Kingdom - 9.5 2. The Grand Budapest Hotel - 8.5 3. Rushmore - 7 4. The Darjeeling Limited - 7 5. Fantastic Mr. Fox - 5.5 (8)
32. Clint Eastwood
Actor | Million Dollar Baby
Clint Eastwood was born May 31, 1930 in San Francisco, the son of Clinton Eastwood Sr., a manufacturing executive for Georgia-Pacific Corporation, and Ruth Wood, a housewife turned IBM operator. He had a comfortable, middle-class upbringing in nearby Piedmont. At school Clint took interest in music...
1. Changeling - 8 2. Bird - 7 3. Mystic River - 6.5 4. The Bridges of Madison County - 6 5. Million Dollar Baby - 6 (35)
33. George Miller
Producer | Mad Max: Fury Road
George Miller is an Australian film director, screenwriter, producer, and former medical doctor. He is best known for his Mad Max franchise, with Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (1981) and Mad Max: Fury Road (2015) being hailed as amongst the greatest action films of all time. Aside from the Mad Max ...
1. Mad Max: Fury Road - 7 2. Mad Max 2 - 7 3. Mad Max - 7 4. Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome - 7 5. Happy Feet - 5.5 (9)
34. Chris Columbus
Producer | Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Born in Pennsylvania and raised in Ohio, Chris Columbus was first inspired to make movies after seeing "The Godfather" at age 15. After enrolling at NYU film school, he sold his first screenplay (never produced) while a sophomore there. After graduation Columbus tried to sell his fourth script, "...
1. Mrs. Doubtfire - 7 2. Home Alone - 7 3. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - 6.5 4. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - 6.5 5. Bicentennial Man - 6 (16)
35. James Cameron
Writer | Avatar
James Francis Cameron was born on August 16, 1954 in Kapuskasing, Ontario, Canada. He moved to the United States in 1971. The son of an engineer, he majored in physics at California State University before switching to English, and eventually dropping out. He then drove a truck to support his ...
1. Terminator 2: Judgment Day - 6.5 2. Titanic - 6 3. Avatar - 6 4. Aliens - 6 5. The Terminator - 6 (8)
36. Rob Reiner
Actor | All in the Family
Robert Reiner was born in New York City, to Estelle Reiner (née Lebost) and Emmy-winning actor, comedian, writer, and producer Carl Reiner.
As a child, he often looked up to his father as his inspiration and role-model. Carl Reiner was on The Dick Van Dyke Show, which he created and also starred in....
1. The Bucket List - 7 2. When Harry Met Sally... - 7 3. The Princess Bride - 6 4. This Is Spinal Tap - 6 5. Rumor Has It... - 4 (19)
37. Béla Tarr
Producer | Werckmeister harmóniák
Béla Tarr was born on July 21, 1955 in Pécs, Hungary. He is a producer and director, known for Werckmeister Harmonies (2000), The Turin Horse (2011) and Damnation (1988). He is married to Ágnes Hranitzky.
1. Werckmeister harmóniák - 10 2. Sátántangó - 9.5 3. Őszi almanach - 7.5 4. Panelkapcsolat - 7 (10)
38. David Cronenberg
Director | The Fly
David Cronenberg, also known as the King of Venereal Horror or the Baron of Blood, was born in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, in 1943. His father, Milton Cronenberg, was a journalist and editor, and his mother, Esther (Sumberg), was a piano player. After showing an inclination for literature at an early...
1. Naked Lunch - 10 2. eXistenZ - 8.5 3. Videodrome - 8 4. Cosmopolis - 6 (21)
39. George Lucas
Writer | Star Wars
George Walton Lucas, Jr. was raised on a walnut ranch in Modesto, California. His father was a stationery store owner and he had three siblings. During his late teen years, he went to Thomas Downey High School and was very much interested in drag racing. He planned to become a professional racecar ...
1. Star Wars - 9.5 2. Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace - 7.5 3. Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith - 7.5 4. Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones - 7.5 (6)
40. Clyde Geronimi
Director | Cinderella
Clyde Geronimi was born on June 12, 1901 in Chiavenna, Lombardy, Italy as Clito Enrico Geronimi. He is known for his work on Cinderella (1950), Peter Pan (1953) and Alice in Wonderland (1951). He died on April 24, 1989 in Newport Beach, California, USA.
1. One Hundred and One Dalmatians - 9 2. Lady and the Tramp - 8.5 3. Peter Pan - 7 4. Cinderella - 6 (8)
41. Roman Polanski
Actor | Chinatown
Roman Polanski is a Polish film director, producer, writer and actor. Having made films in Poland, Britain, France and the USA, he is considered one of the few truly international filmmakers. Roman Polanski was born in Paris in 1933.
His parents returned to Poland from France in 1936, three years ...
1. Chinatown - 8.5 2. The Pianist - 7.5 3. Carnage - 7.5 4. Bitter Moon - 6 (21)
Director | Waking Life
Self-taught writer-director Richard Stuart Linklater was born in Houston, Texas, to Diane Margaret (Krieger), who taught at a university, and Charles W. Linklater III. Richard was among the first and most successful talents to emerge during the American independent film renaissance of the 1990s. ...
1. Before Midnight - 8.5 2. Before Sunrise - 8.5 3. Before Sunset - 7 4. The School of Rock - 5.5 (18)
43. Roger Donaldson
Director | The World's Fastest Indian
Roger Donaldson was born on November 15, 1945 in Ballarat, Australia. He is a director and producer, known for The World's Fastest Indian (2005), Species (1995) and Cocktail (1988). He is married to Marliese Schneider. He was previously married to Susan Hockley.
1. No WayOut - 7.5 2. The Bank Job - 7.5 3. The World's Fastest Indian - 7 4. Dante's Peak - 4.5 (18)
44. Darren Aronofsky
Director | Pi
Darren Aronofsky was born February 12, 1969, in Brooklyn, New York. Growing up, Darren was always artistic: he loved classic movies and, as a teenager, he even spent time doing graffiti art. After high school, Darren went to Harvard University to study film (both live-action and animation). He won ...
1. Requiem for a Dream - 8 2. Black Swan - 6 3. The Fountain - 6 4. The Wrestler - 6 (7)
45. Alfonso Cuarón
Writer | Gravity
Alfonso Cuarón Orozco was born on November 28th in Mexico City, Mexico. From an early age, he yearned to be either a film director or an astronaut. However, he did not want to enter the army, so he settled for directing. He didn't receive his first camera until his twelfth birthday, and then ...
1. Gravity - 7 2. Children of Men - 6.5 3. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - 6.5 4. Y tu mamá también - 6 (7)
46. Martin Brest
Director | Scent of a Woman
1. Scent of a Woman - 7 2. Going in Style - 6.5 3. Beverly Hills Cop - 6 4. Meet Joe Black - 6 (7)
47. Tim Burton
Producer | Edward Scissorhands
Timothy Walter Burton was born in Burbank, California, to Jean Rae (Erickson), who owned a cat-themed gift shop, and William Reed Burton, who worked for the Burbank Park and Recreation Department. He spent most of his childhood as a recluse, drawing cartoons, and watching old movies (he was ...
1. Big Fish - 7.5 2. Edward Scissorhands - 7.5 3. Sleepy Hollow - 6 4. Mars Attacks! - 4 (18)
48. Ron Clements
Writer | Hercules
Ron Clements was born on April 25, 1953 in Sioux City, Iowa, USA as Ronald Francis Clements. He is a writer and director, known for Hercules (1997), Aladdin (1992) and The Princess and the Frog (2009). He has been married to Tamara Lee Glumace since February 25, 1989.
1. The Princess and the Frog - 7.5 (w/ John Musker) 2. Hercules - 6.5 (w/ John Musker) 3. Alddin - 6 (w/ John Musker) 4. The Little Mermaid - 5 (w/ John Musker) (7)
49. Sam Mendes
Producer | Road to Perdition
Samuel Alexander Mendes was born on August 1, 1965 in Reading, England, UK to parents James Peter Mendes, a retired university lecturer, and Valerie Helene Mendes, an author who writes children's books. Their marriage didn't last long, James divorced Sam's mother in 1970 when Sam was just 5-...
1. American Beauty - 6.5 2. Skyfall - 6.5 3. Revolutionary Road - 6 4. Spectre - 5.5 (8)
50. Howard Deutch
Director | Pretty in Pink
Howard Deutch was born on September 14, 1950 in New York City, New York, USA. He is a director and producer, known for Pretty in Pink (1986), The Great Outdoors (1988) and The Replacements (2000). He has been married to Lea Thompson since July 23, 1989. They have two children.
1. Grumpier Old Men - 6.5 2. The Whole Ten Yards - 5.5 3. The Odd Couple II - 5.5 4. Getting Even with Dad - 5 (11)
51. Donald Petrie
Director | How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
1. Grumpy Old Men - 7 2. How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days - 5 3. Miss Congenialit - 5 4. Ri¢hie Ri¢h - 4.5 (13)
52. Nora Ephron
Writer | Julie & Julia
Nora Ephron was educated at Wellesley College, Massachusetts. She was an acclaimed essayist (Crazy Salad 1975), novelist (Heartburn 1983), and had written screenplays for several popular films, all featuring strong female characters, such as anti-nuclear activist Karen Silkwood (Silkwood (1983), ...
1. You've Got Mail - 6 2. Sleepless in Seattle - 6 3. Julie & Julia - 5 4. Bewitched - 4 (8)
53. Les Mayfield
Director | Blue Streak
1. Blue Streak - 6 2. Miracle on 34th Street - 5.5 3. The Man - 5 4. Flubber - 4 (7)
54. Jon Turteltaub
Director | Cool Runnings
Jon Turteltaub was born on August 8, 1963 in New York City, New York, USA as Jonathan Charles Turteltaub. He is a producer and director, known for Cool Runnings (1993), While You Were Sleeping (1995) and Phenomenon (1996). He has been married to Amy Eldon since July 6, 2006. They have three ...
1. Last Vegas - 5 2. While You Were Sleeping - 5 3. National Treasure - 5 4. National Treasure: Book of Secrets - 4 (12)
55. István Bujtor
Producer | A három testör Afrikában
István Bujtor was born on May 5, 1942 in Budapest, Hungary as István Frenreisz. He was an actor and producer, known for A három testör Afrikában (1996), Hamis a baba (1991) and Mennyei seregek (1983). He died on September 25, 2009 in Budapest.
1. Hamis a baba - 4 2. A pogány madonna - 3.5 3. Az elvarázsolt dollár - 3 4. Csak semmi pánik... - 2
56. Sergio Leone
Writer | Once Upon a Time in America
Sergio Leone was virtually born into the cinema - he was the son of Roberto Roberti (A.K.A. Vincenzo Leone), one of Italy's cinema pioneers, and actress Bice Valerian. Leone entered films in his late teens, working as an assistant director to both Italian directors and U.S. directors working in ...
1. Once Upon a Time in America - 9.5 2. Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo - 9 3. C'era una volta il West - 7.5 (7)
57. Martin McDonagh
Writer | In Bruges
Martin McDonagh was born on March 26, 1970 in Camberwell, London, England. He is a writer and director, known for In Bruges (2008), Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017) and Seven Psychopaths (2012).
1. In Bruges - 9.5 2. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - 8.5 3. Seven Psychopaths - 7.5 (3)
58. Peter Greenaway
Director | The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover
Peter Greenaway trained as a painter and began working as a film editor for the Central Office of Information in 1965. Shortly afterwards he started to make his own films. He has produced a wealth of short and feature-length films, but also paintings, novels and other books. He has held several ...
1. The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover - 9.5 2. The Baby of Mâcon - 8.5 3. The Draughtsman's Contract - 7 (20)
1. Szaffi - 9 2. Vuk - 8 3. Lúdas Matyi - 8 (5)
60. Terrence Malick
Writer | Days of Heaven
Terrence Malick was born in Ottawa, Illinois. His family subsequently lived in Oklahoma and he went to school in Austin, Texas. He did his undergraduate work at Harvard, graduating summa cum laude with a degree in philosophy in 1965.
A member of the Phi Beta Kappa honor society, he attended Magdalen ...
1. The Thin Red Line - 8 2. The Tree of Life - 8 3. Badlands - 7.5 (8)
Director | The AristoCats
Wolfgang Reitherman was a German-born American animator who was one of Disney's Nine Old Men.
He began working for Disney in 1933, along with future Disney legends Ward Kimball and Milt Kahl. The three worked together on a number of classic Disney shorts.
Reitherman directed several Disney animated ...
1. The AristoCats - 9 2. One Hundred and One Dalmatians - 8.5 3. The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh - 6 (7)
62. Brian De Palma
Director | Dressed to Kill
Brian De Palma is the son of a surgeon. He studied physics but at the same time felt his dedication for the movies and made some short films. After seven independent productions he had his first success with Sisters (1972) and his voyeuristic style. Restlessly he worked on big projects with the ...
1. The Untouchables - 8 2. Scarface - 7.5 3. Carlito's Way - 7 (29)
63. Gore Verbinski
Director | Rango
Gore Verbinski, one of American cinema's most inventive directors who was a punk-rock guitarist as a teenager and had to sell his guitar to buy his first camera, is now the director of Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006) which made the industry record for highest opening weekend of ...
1. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl - 8 2. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End - 7.5 3. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest - 7.5 (10)
64. Ridley Scott
Producer | The Martian
Described by film producer Michael Deeley as "the very best eye in the business", director Ridley Scott was born on November 30, 1937 in South Shields, Tyne and Wear (then County Durham). His father was an officer in the Royal Engineers and the family followed him as his career posted him ...
1. Blade Runner - 8.5 2. Alien - 8 3. A Good Year - 6 (24)
65. Sidney Lumet
Director | 12 Angry Men
Sidney Lumet was a master of cinema, best known for his technical knowledge and his skill at getting first-rate performances from his actors -- and for shooting most of his films in his beloved New York. He made over 40 movies, often complex and emotional, but seldom overly sentimental. Although ...
1. 12 Angry Men - 9.5 2. Murder on the Orient Express - 7 3. Family Business - 5
66. Georges Lautner
Director | Les tontons flingueurs
Georges Lautner was born on January 24, 1926 in Nice, Alpes-Maritimes, France. He was a director and writer, known for Monsieur Gangster (1963), La maison assassinée (1988) and The Professional (1981). He was married to Caroline Lautner. He died on November 22, 2013 in Neuilly-sur-Seine, ...
1. Le professionnel - 7.5 2. Flic ou voyou - 7 3. Joyeuses Pâques - 7 (43)
67. Ulrich Seidl
Director | Paradies: Liebe
Ulrich Seidl was born on November 24, 1952 in Vienna, Austria. He is a director and producer, known for Paradise: Love (2012), Paradise: Faith (2012) and Goodnight Mommy (2014). He is married to Veronika Franz.
1. Paradies: Hoffnung - 7 2. Paradies: Glaube - 7 3. Paradies: Liebe - 7 (6)
68. Mike Nichols
Director | The Graduate
He, along with the other members of the "Compass Players" including Elaine May, Paul Sills, Byrne Piven, Joyce Hiller Piven and Edward Asner helped start the famed "Second City Improv" company. They used the games taught to them by fellow cast mate, Paul Sills 's mother, Viola Spolin. He later ...
1. Closer - 8 2. The Graduate - 7 3. The Birdcage - 6 (19)
Director | Das Boot
This director seems to shine most when making movies that can best be described as part action movies/part disaster movies.
Beginning with Outbreak (1995) about the outbreak of a killer virus. This film had shades of an Irwin Allen disaster movie, The Swarm (1978), about the outbreak of killer bees....
1. Das Boot - 8 2. In the Line of Fire - 7 3. Troy - 6
70. Todd Phillips
Producer | Due Date
Todd Phillips was born on December 20, 1970 in Brooklyn, New York City, New York, USA as Todd Bunzl. He is a producer and director, known for Due Date (2010), Old School (2003) and The Hangover (2009).
1. The Hangover - 8 2. The Hangover Part II - 7 3. Road Trip - 5 (9)
71. Harold Ramis
Writer | Ghostbusters
Born on November 21, 1944 in Chicago, Illinois, Harold Allen Ramis got his start in comedy as Playboy magazine's joke editor and reviewer. In 1969, he joined Chicago's Second City's Improvisational Theatre Troupe before moving to New York to help write and perform in "The National Lampoon Show" ...
1. Analyze This - 7 2. Analyze That - 6 3. Bedazzled - 5.5 (11)
72. Kenneth Branagh
Actor | Henry V
Kenneth Charles Branagh was born on December 10, 1960, in Belfast, Northern Ireland, to parents William Branagh, a plumber and carpenter, and Frances (Harper), both born in 1930. He has two siblings, William Branagh, Jr. (born 1955) and Joyce Branagh (born 1970). When he was nine, his family ...
1. Much Ado About Nothing - 7 2. Murder on the Orient Express - 6.5 3. Cinderella - 4.5 (16)
73. Santiago Segura
Born in Madrid, Santiago Segura started his career by making his first short movie at the age of fourteen. After studying Arts in Madrid, he finally decided to become a filmmaker. His first short film Relatos de la medianoche (1989) was made with a budget of only 7.000 pts. (about 60 dollars).
1. Torrente, el brazo tonto de la ley - 6.5 2. Torrente 2: Misión en Marbella - 6 3. Torrente 3: El protector - 5.5 (5)
Writer | Salò o le 120 giornate di Sodoma
Pier Paolo Pasolini achieved fame and notoriety long before he entered the film industry. A published poet at 19, he had already written numerous novels and essays before his first screenplay in 1954. His first film Accattone (1961) was based on his own novel and its violent depiction of the life ...
1. Il Decameron - 6 2. I racconti di Canterbury - 6 3. Salò o le 120 giornate di Sodoma - 6 (13)
75. Paul Verhoeven
Director | Zwartboek
Paul Verhoeven graduated from the University of Leiden, with a degree in math and physics. He entered the Royal Netherlands Navy, where he began his film career by making documentaries for the Navy and later for TV. In 1969, he directed the popular Dutch TV series, Floris (1969), about a medieval ...
1. Starship Troopers - 6.5 2. Total Recall - 6 3. Basic Instinct - 5 (16)
76. John McTiernan
Director | Die Hard
John McTiernan was born on January 8, 1951 in Albany, New York, USA as John Campbell McTiernan Jr. He is a director and producer, known for Die Hard (1988), Predator (1987) and Last Action Hero (1993). He has been married to Gail Sistrunk since 2012. He was previously married to Kate Harrington, ...
1. Predator - 7 2. Die Hard - 6.5 3. The Thomas Crown Affair - 6 (11)
77. Norman Jewison
Director | In the Heat of the Night
Norman Frederick Jewison was born in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, to Dorothy Irene (Weaver) and Percy Joseph Jewison, who managed a post office and a convenience store. His mother was an English immigrant, and his father was of English and Ulster-Scots descent. Jewison got his BA at Victoria College, ...
1. Fiddler on the Roof - 8 2. The Thomas Crown Affair - 6 3. Only You - 5.5 (26)
78. Zack Snyder
Director | 300
Zachary Edward "Zack" Snyder (born March 1, 1966) is an American film director, film producer, and screenwriter, best known for action and science fiction films. Snyder made his feature film debut with the 2004 remake Dawn of the Dead and has gone on to be known for his comic book movies and ...
1. Watchmen - 6.5 2. 300 - 5.5 3. Man of Steel - 5 (8)
79. Ron Howard
Actor | Arrested Development
Academy Award-winning filmmaker Ron Howard is one of this generation's most popular directors. From the critically acclaimed dramas A Beautiful Mind (2001) and Apollo 13 (1995) to the hit comedies Parenthood (1989) and Splash (1984), he has created some of Hollywood's most memorable films.
1. Solo: A Star Wars Story - 7 2. Inferno - 5 3. How the Grinch Stole Christmas - 4.5 (28)
80. Baz Luhrmann
Writer | Moulin Rouge!
Baz Luhrmann is an Australian writer, director, and producer with projects spanning film, television, opera, theatre, music, and recording industries. He is regarded by many as a contemporary example of an auteur for his distinctly recognizable style and deep involvement in the writing, directing, ...
1. The Great Gatsby - 6 2. Moulin Rouge! - 5.5 3. Romeo + Juliet - 5 (5)
81. Jonathan Lynn
Writer | Clue
Jonathan Lynn and Antony Jay created and wrote every episode of the acclaimed BBC political comedy series Yes Minister (1980) and Yes, Prime Minister (1986). The series received numerous accolades including three BAFTA (British Academy) Awards, two Broadcasting Press Guild Awards and two Pye ...
1. The Whole Nine Yards - 6 2. Greedy - 5 3. The Distinguished Gentleman - 4.5 (10)
82. Joe Johnston
Director | Captain America: The First Avenger
Joe Johnston was born on May 13, 1950 in Austin, Texas, USA as Joseph Eggleston Johnston II. He is a director, known for Captain America: The First Avenger (2011), Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) and The Rocketeer (1991).
1. Honey, I Shrunk the Kids - 5.5 2. Jumanji - 5 3. Jurassic Park III - 4 (10)
83. Milos Forman
Director | One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Milos Forman was born Jan Tomas Forman in Caslav, Czechoslovakia, to Anna (Svabova), who ran a summer hotel, and Rudolf Forman, a professor. During World War II, his parents were taken away by the Nazis, after being accused of participating in the underground resistance. His father died in ...
1. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - 9.5 2. Amadeus - 8.5 (14)
Writer | The Last Emperor
Bernardo Bertolucci, the Italian director whose films were known for their colorful visual style, was born in Parma, Italy. He attended Rome University and became famous as a poet. He served as assistant director for Pier Paolo Pasolini in the film Accattone (1961) and directed The Grim Reaper (...
1. Ultimo tango a Parigi - 9 2. The Dreamers - 8 (16)
Writer | La nuit américaine
French director François Truffaut began to assiduously go to the movies at age seven. He was also a great reader but not a good pupil. He left school at 14 and started working. In 1947, aged 15, he founded a film club and met André Bazin, a French critic, who became his protector. Bazin helped the ...
1. Les quatre cents coups - 9.5 2. L'enfant sauvage - 7 (21)
86. Fritz Lang
Actor | Le mépris
Fritz Lang was born in Vienna, Austria, in 1890. His father managed a construction company. His mother, Pauline Schlesinger, was Jewish but converted to Catholicism when Lang was ten. After high school, he enrolled briefly at the Technische Hochschule Wien and then started to train as a painter. ...
1. Metropolis - 8.5 2. M - 8 (43)
87. Charles Chaplin
Writer | The Great Dictator
Considered to be one of the most pivotal stars of the early days of Hollywood, Charlie Chaplin lived an interesting life both in his films and behind the camera. He is most recognized as an icon of the silent film era, often associated with his popular character, the Little Tramp; the man with the ...
1. City Lights - 8 2. Modern Times - 8 (16)
88. Taylor Hackford
Producer | Ray
Taylor Hackford was born on December 31, 1944 in Santa Barbara, California, USA as Taylor Edwin Hackford. He is a producer and director, known for Ray (2004), Blood In, Blood Out (1993) and Dolores Claiborne (1995). He has been married to Helen Mirren since December 31, 1997. He was previously ...
1. The Devil's Advocate - 8 2. Ray - 8 (13)
89. Edward Zwick
Producer | Thirtysomething
Edward Zwick is well-known for his heroic movies that include Glory (1989), and the breathtaking works of art that include Legends of the Fall (1994). Zwick has also been known for his thoughtfulness as a director, and for his record of working with television series and other films as a producer.
1. Blood Diamond - 8 2. Legends of the Fall - 8 (14)
90. Isao Takahata
Director | Hotaru no haka
Isao Takahata was born on October 29, 1935 in Ise, Mie, Japan. He was a director and writer, known for Grave of the Fireflies (1988), The Tale of The Princess Kaguya (2013) and Only Yesterday (1991). He died on April 5, 2018 in Tokyo, Japan.
1. Hotaru no haka - 9.5 2. Omohide poro poro - 6.5 (12)
91. David Fincher
Director | Se7en
David Fincher was born in 1962 in Denver, Colorado, and was raised in Marin County, California. When he was 18 years old he went to work for John Korty at Korty Films in Mill Valley. He subsequently worked at ILM (Industrial Light and Magic) from 1981-1983. Fincher left ILM to direct TV commercials...
1. Fight Club - 9.5 2. Gone Girl - 5.5 (10)
92. Emir Kusturica
Director | Underground
A Serbian film director. Born in 1954 in Sarajevo. Graduated in film directing at the prestigious Academy of Performing Arts (FAMU) in Prague in 1978. During his studies, he was awarded several times for his short movies including Guernica (1978), which took first prize at the Student's Film ...
1. Underground - 8.5 2. Arizona Dream - 6.5 (12)
93. Ruben Östlund
Director | Turist
Ruben Östlund was born on April 13, 1974 in Styrsö, Västra Götalands län, Sweden as Claes Olle Ruben Östlund. He is a director and writer, known for Force Majeure (2014), The Square (2017) and Involuntary (2008). He was previously married to Andrea Östlund.
1. The Square - 8 2. Turist - 7.5 (5)
94. Orson Welles
Actor | Citizen Kane
His father was a well-to-do inventor, his mother a beautiful concert pianist; Orson Welles was gifted in many arts (magic, piano, painting) as a child. When his mother died (he was six) he traveled the world with his father. When his father died (he was fifteen) he became the ward of Chicago's Dr. ...
1. Citizen Kane - 7.5 2. The Stranger - 7.5 (16)
Writer | Les choristes
1. Les choristes - 8.5 2. Faubourg 36 - 6.5 (4)
Director | Sex, Lies, and Videotape
Steven Andrew Soderbergh was born on January 14, 1963 in Atlanta, Georgia, USA, the second of six children of Mary Ann (Bernard) and Peter Soderbergh. His father was of Swedish and Irish descent, and his mother was of Italian ancestry. While he was still at a very young age, his family moved to ...
1. Ocean's Eleven - 8 2. Ocean's Twelve - 6
97. Lasse Hallström
Director | What's Eating Gilbert Grape
Lasse Hallström was born on June 2, 1946 in Stockholm, Stockholms län, Sweden as Lars Hallström. He is a director and writer, known for What's Eating Gilbert Grape (1993), Chocolat (2000) and The Cider House Rules (1999). He has been married to Lena Olin since March 18, 1994. They have one child. ...
1. Chocolat - 8 2. The Hundred-Foot Journey - 6 (23)
98. Bryan Singer
Director | X-Men
Bryan Singer was born on September 17, 1965 in New York City, New York, USA as Bryan Jay Singer. He is a producer and director, known for X-Men (2000), The Usual Suspects (1995) and X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014).
1. The Usual Suspects - 8 2. Apt Pupil - 6
99. Luc Besson
Writer | The Fifth Element
Luc Besson spent the first years of his life following his parents, scuba diving instructors, around the world. His early life was entirely aquatic. He already showed amazing creativity as a youth, writing early drafts of The Big Blue (1988) and The Fifth Element (1997), as an adolescent bored in ...
1. Léon - 8 2. The Fifth Element - 5.5
100. Édouard Molinaro
Writer | The Birdcage
Édouard Molinaro was born on May 31, 1928 in Bordeaux, Gironde, France as Édouard Camille Molinaro. He was a director and writer, known for The Birdcage (1996), La Cage aux Folles (1978) and My Uncle Benjamin (1969). He was married to Catherine Laporte, Graziella and Marie-Hélène Breillat. He died ...
1. Le dos au mur - 7 2. À gauche en sortant de l'ascenseur - 7